Personal Philosophy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Personal philosophy of education and technology

 

Lisa M. Williams

School of Education, Liberty University

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author Note

Lisa M. Williams

I have no known conflict of interest to disclose.

Correspondence concerning this article should be addressed to

Email: lwilliams591@liberty.edu

Abstract

            Technology is our future and a part of our everyday lives, and teachers need to incorporate it into their classroom. It is important that educators utilize different forms of technology into their lessons. The lessons need to be a positive learning experience where students are actively engaged in the learning objective. The lessons also need to be differentiated and rigorous, so they meet the need of each individual learner. Differentiated instruction allow students to feel successful and empower them to become lifelong learners (Stern, 2015). As technology changes, which is continually, it is important for teachers to keep up with these changes when it pertains to education. Teachers should be provided professional development to help create rich lessons that focus on the standard and learning objective, as well as being introduced to new technology that they can implement into their classroom. Technology can be beneficial in achieving our professional obligation to keep God as the center for teaching and learning. “The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:9). Students must practice what they have learned and heard from their teacher. When this continues, then the peace of God will be with each of them.

Keywords: students, education, teachers, technology, incorporating technology


 

Summary

            My personal philosophy is that I need to prepare students for the future. Today’s society uses some form of technology every day. Technology helps me to better communicate with my parents through email or text messages. Online assessments enable me to collect data on my students, which helps me to differentiate my instruction to meet the needs of each student. I create Google slides for all my lessons, which allows me to stay on task and it also provides a visual lesson to my students. “Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning” (Proverbs 9:9). Students all over the world, whether they are in school or learning virtually, use technology. By creating a learning environment that is rich with technology helps to empower students. Students who collaborate with their peers on a variety of rich and engaging learning activities, helps to build a collaborative school community.

            Technology is such an integral part of the education system. It helps to prepare them become better students and gets them ready for their future career. Without the use of technology in schools, students will not be adequately prepared when they enter the workforce. Practically speaking, there is an obvious need for students to be prepared to use technology to compete in the 21st-centruy global economy (Harrell & Bynum, 2018). For schools and students to be successful, lessons need to be created that implement some form of technology. To succeed, learning must be supported by a strong foundation in technology (Harrell & Bynum, 2018).

As an educator, technology has a huge impact on student learning. It helps to prepare them as they continue their education. When students are exposed to technology it helps them to become more confident.  Technology also prepares individuals when they begin their career in the workforce and they become more confident in their job. Collaborative activities are an integral part of my classroom. I like to create technology activities where students are interacting and collaborating. When students are collaborating as a team, students are more engaged with the material, it builds social skills, and it provides an overall better learning experience for all students. It also helps students finds their strengths as a leader and find the strengths in their classmates.

My primary responsibility as a teacher is to keep my students safe when using technology. It is important for them to follow the online search rules that are established by the school. I am also careful when I create slides that include a video. I make sure that I download the video to a safe site before showing it to my students. Teachers are tasked with modeling and teaching ethical behaviors related to software and media use (Roblyer & Hughes, 2019). My school district has a strict policy on what websites our students can access. There are times that it is frustrating because it would fit perfectly with my lesson, but then I am thankful because I know my students are safe when they use technology.

I knew from an early age that God had a plan for me. I realized that plan when I was in my early teens. Teaching has always been a gift and it has come naturally for me. I love teaching and I love watching my students learn. By this we know that we love the children of God when we love God and observe His commandments (1 John 5.2). God is always the center of my teaching and learning and He has been instrumental in my success as a teacher.

 


 

References

Harrell, S., & Bynum, Y. (2018, July 31). Factors affecting technology integration in the classroom. Alabama Journal of Educational Leadership. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1194723.

Roblyer, M. D., & Hughes, J. E. (2019). Integrating educational technology into teaching: transforming learning across disciplines. Pearson Education, Inc.

 Stern, J. (2015, March 30). Enhancing learning through differentiated technology. Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/blog/enhanced-learning-through-differentiated-technology-julie-stern.

Oxford University Press. (1993). The holy bible, catholic edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Reflection